Monday, December 17, 2007

For the bloke who has everything........


Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas as much as the next person. But when it rolls round every year and life becomes all about shopping I get kind of uncomfortable. I've got everything I need already. Everyone I know has everything they need already. If people I met in Uganda suddenly got teleported into our lounge I would feel absolutely mortified at the relative comfort we live in, actually more like the excess we've grown used to. And I would rather die than let anyone from Africa see how we celebrate Christmas! How do you tell a person who has no idea what it feels like to have a full stomach what a hassle it is feeling bloated after a big Christmas lunch?
I find it really hard to rationalise buying more stuff for people who already have too much stuff, and what for? To prove that we love them? And if so, why do we reserve this demonstration of love for Christmas? And why do we have to give them stuff to prove it? Why not just behave as if we love them all year long?

Anyway, I digress. This year, to help ease that uncomfortable feeling, I'm giving chickens. And trees. My brother lives overseas and has VERY firm ideas about global warming and consumerism, so I bought him 25 trees to be planted in an area of deforestation through the Oxfam website. While I was at it, I got a pair of chickens for my Dad, the man who has everything- Chickens are a great gift because they provide food as well as an income from selling chicks and eggs. Other options are goats, buffaloes, plants and school books.
I think I'll sleep peacefully tonight.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thats a great idea Becs.
I'm not into buying toys
We like Books (yes you can tell) Educaitonal things, Craft things or Food.
Hope you guys have a great time and we'll be seeing you in the new year...when we've all settled down.
Love heaps
m